Two-Minute Drill: Big Names Round out B1G Media Day
By Brandon Castel
CHICAGO — It was an interesting day in Chicago, as Urban Meyer, Bill O’Brien and Tim Beckman were introduced as the new head coaches in the Big Ten.
The conference closed out the Media Kickoff Luncheon strong with three of the more well-known coaches in the Big Ten. Here’s a two-minute rundown from Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio, Nebraska’s Bo Pelini and Iowa’s Kirk Ferentz.
Dantonio Sets Sights on Rose Bowl
* Entire staff returns at MSU and he said staff continuity is important.
* After five straight bowl games, back-to-back 11-win seasons, the Rose Bowl is the goal for Dantonio, Spartans.
* On the PSU situation: There are no winners. If players contact them, they follow through. They are not chasing players, but are listening to people who are interested in MSU.
* Leadership is a challenge. Said there is a “void” there, but team chemistry is good. RB, WR and QB solid. Expecting leadership from Max Bullough
* Non-conference schedule includes Boise State and Notre Dame. Chance to get young players experience. National stage good for young players.
* Spartans return 8 starters and 18 of top 22 players on defense. Likes the depth on both lines. Offensive line returns 6 guys with starting experience.
*Michigan has been favored the past 4 years, all MSU wins. Wolverines will not be favored in the MSU locker room.
* On DeAnthony Arnett, WR transfer from Tennessee: “He's got great ability.” Thinks he can do some of the things Keshawn Martin did for them and “be a star for us.”
Pelini Expects Big Things from ‘Huskers Offense
* Worked on chemistry and leadership over the offseason.
* Not actively pursing Penn State players. If player definitely wanted to transfer and was interested in Nebraska they would take a look.
* A year of experience in the league should help them in league play this year and going forward since seeing the teams first hand.
* QB Taylor Martinez has progressed and his best football should be ahead of him. Should have a good year. “He's just now becoming an upperclassman.” Has had a tremendous offseason.
* On Rex Burkhead: “He can do it all on the field.” He is what a student-athlete should be. In the community, as a leader, on a daily basis. “I wouldn't trade him for another player in the country. That's how much I think of Rex.”
* Feels good about defensive unit as a whole.
* Said Nebraska recruits nationally. “We're all over the place. We've had success in a number of different places.” On recruiting. Texas, Ohio, etc.
Ferentz Waffles Over Recruiting PSU Players
* Longest tenured head coach in the Big Ten. Seen a lot of changes.
* Said, “It's really complex right now, and confusing quite frankly,” when asked about recruiting PSU players.
* Made it sound as though Iowa would not refrain from recruiting Penn State players as long as it falls within the NCAA guidelines.
* Joke about inability to stay healthy at the RB position over the past 4-5 years.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.