Two-Minute Drill: Buckeyes Turn Attention to Miami
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — The Buckeyes were back on the practice field Monday, but it was a much different feel than it has been for the last few weeks.
The grind of fall camp is officially over and players have moved back into their permanent places of residency as they brace for the first Fall Semester at Ohio State.
Meyer said his team is also no longer in training mode, as they officially flipped the switch to preparation mode Monday in anticipation of the upcoming season-opener against Miami (Ohio).
Here is a rundown of what else Meyer had to say Monday before he scurried off to a student event on campus.
Offense Dominates Scrimmage
* Meyer said the offense dominated Saturday's scrimmage, which was mostly 1st Team Offense vs. 2nd Team Defense and vice-versa.
* He thinks they can put a “fairly competent” offense on the field in less than two weeks. Said they're a lot better at throwing & catching, but they “couldn’t have gone much in the other direction.”
* Braxton Miller threw for 350 yards in the scrimmage. Meyer: "He had a heck of a day."
* Meyer said his top two WR's right now are Devin Smith and Philly Brown. Called Philly his No. 1 WR.
* TE/WR Jake Stoneburner had a good day catching the ball today and freshman WR Michael Thomas is back from his minor injury
* Meyer again mentioned TE Nick Vannett as a guy who continues to impress him. Vannett and Jeff Heuerman are still 50/50 at TE. Heuerman better "point of attack" blocker, but also decent in pass game.
* Meyer said his RT battle still has to come along. Both guys trying hard, but definitely the weak spot on the line right now. He's looking for consistency and toughness from Reid Fragel and Taylor Decker.
* Meyer said John Simon and Zach Boren were the No. 1 vote-getters for captain, followed by Etienne Sabino.
* Meyer said he didn't realize Sabino hadn't played much because he is so mature and acts like a veteran.
* Meyer joked about not knowing who Garrett Goebel was the first 4-5 months on the job. Only half-joking, though. Said Goebel is a guy who doesn't look real good in cone drills, but he's exactly what they want at nose. Tough as nails and no-nonsense.
Two More Freshmen De-Striped
* RB Warren Ball and QB Cardale Jones had their freshman stripes removed after practice Monday.
* Meyer called Jones "a nonfactor" for the first 5-6 months he was on the job. Said he turned the corner this last week or two.
* Meyer said he didn’t recruit Ball, be he’s really glad he’s a Buckeye. Called him a hard runner who can do some things.
* Meyer added that freshman WR Frank Epitropoulos hasn't practiced much because of injury.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.