Two-Minute Drill: Meyer Provides Tuesday Updates
By Brandon Castel and Tony Gerdeman
COLUMBUS, Ohio — There wasn’t a avalanche of breaking news on Tuesday as Urban Meyer made his weekly appearance on the Big Ten Football Teleconference.
The Buckeyes didn’t practice Monday, as usual, but they will hit the fields today and tomorrow for their two toughest practices of the week.
Here’s a two-minute rundown of what Meyer did have to say on Tuesday as the Buckeyes get ready for their Big Ten-opener at Michigan State this Saturday.
* RB Carlos Hyde still looks like a go for Saturday, but Meyer will know more after today's practice.
* Meyer said he's still working on ways to get Jordan Hall and Carlos Hyde on the field together.
Preparing for Michigan State
* Meyer said they still a lot of work to do in all three phases. Have to get better quick.
* Meyer said the good thing about Michigan State is no one has to tell the players how good they are. This team knows.
* Meyer said he's never played as many true freshman as he is this year. Called it alarming, but said it's great for the future.
* The offense isn't as diversified as Meyer would like, but he sees glimpses.
* Meyer says Braxton Miller’s progress is “pretty dramatic from last year's game to this one.” He was thrust into it and did not have the greatest training camp a year ago.
* Meyer doesn’t see Braxton’s mobility as a challenge for the offensive line “Not for our guy.” But maybe as a younger player, but "I don't see any negative." Any time you've got a guy that can get you out of trouble that's an advantage.
* Meyer said Spartans are a "force you to go over the top" type of defense. Going to have a lot of people there to stop the run.
* Meyer very impressed with Michigan State LB Max Bullough. Called him a "stud." Remember, Dantonio compared him to Matt Wilhelm.
* Meyer also alarmed by the fact Ohio State is dead-last in the Big Ten in defense right now. "That has to change real fast."
* This week will be much different game for LB Ryan Shazier than he's been asked to play. Very talented guy who gets better each week.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.