Two-Minute Drill: Buckeyes Celebrate 12-0 in Style
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — The Buckeyes celebrated perfection Friday night.
While a rainy night kept it from being a soldout crowd at St. John Arena, there were still plenty of Ohio State fans who came out to cheer on their head football coach and his undefeated 12-0 football team.
We will have photos and video of the event, but here’s a rundown of the night’s festivities, which included the presentation of the Big Ten Leaders Division championship trophy.
Recapping the Ceremony
* Ohio State spokesperson estimated there were 7,000-7,500 in attendance tonight at St. John Arena.
* The Best Damn Band in the Land played some Super Mario Brothers from their famous Nebraska halftime show.
* Brutus carried an "Undefeated 12-0" flag around St. John Arena.
* Columbus Mayor Coleman spoke first and said he is naming a street '12-0 Row'. He said Urban and the seniors will help pick it.
* Next was President E. Gordon Gee, who said the seniors could have left but they didn't. "That's the mark of character."
* Finally, Urban Meyer came in and talked about the assistant coaches, who moved their families from all around the country.
* QB Braxton Miller had to fly back this morning from receiving the Silver Football so he could be at the event this evening.
* Troy Smith presented Meyer and the captains with the Leaders Division championship trophy. Said they asked him to do it because he knows something about carrying heavy trophies.
Recognizing the Seniors
* Meyer also focused a lot on the seniors. He honored the seniors one by one in front of the crowd, with the four captains – Goebel, Sabino, Boren and Simon – being the last player introduced.
* Nathan Williams was the only senior not in attendance. OSU spokesperson said he wasn't sure why Williams wasn't there, but he's scheduled to graduate at this month.
* Meyer got a little passionate talking about John Simon and what he meant to the program. Called him one of the all-time greats to put on a Buckeye uniform. "John Simon is who this team is."
* Meyer said Etienne Sabino "should have been All Big Ten."
* Was told John Simon is rehabbing in hopes of playing in the Senior Bowl.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.