Two-Minute Drill: Inside Ohio State Pro Day
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — There were 36 scouts from 28 NFL teams – and one CFL team – that showed up for Ohio State’s Pro Day in Columbus on Friday.
That included Pittsburgh Steelers defensive coordinator Dick Lebeau, and they showed up to watch Jake Stoneburner, Johnathan Hankins, Etienne Sabino, Nathan Williams, Travis Howard, Orhian Johnson and a few others go through workouts at the Woody Hayes Athletic Center.
They also got to watch former OSU quarterback Troy Smith, the 2006 Heisman Trophy winner, throwing the 60-yard touchdowns to Stoneburner.
On Troy Smith…
* Smith said he wasn't trying to show off for NFL scouts today but he still has that hunger inside him.
* Smith said a few times how he has always loved the Cleveland Browns but he also loves being back at Ohio State.
* Smith threw a couple of nice deep balls to Stoneburner, who said he thinks there's no doubt Troy could still play in the NFL.
* Smith was working with Stoneburner to get him ready for today: "I'm his biggest critic because I'm also his biggest fan."
* Stoneburner said Jim Tressel was the one who recommended he talk to Smith about working with him before Pro Day.
* Stoneburner has always been hard on himself. Said Smith has given him more confidence. "I can see why he won the Heisman and was a captain."
Updated 40 Times…
* When we walked in, we were handed a sheet with 40 times and weightroom numbers. They were not the numbers from Pro Day, but the sheet said John Simon did 40 reps of 225 on the bench. It also said Stoneburner ran a hand-timed 4.4 flat in the 40-yard dash.
* Stoneburner said he ran a 4.52 during Friday’s pro day, much better than his performance in Indianapolis.
* Both Travis Howard and Orhian Johnson said they were told they ran a 4.5 flat in the 40 on pro day.
* Zach Boren said he ran better Friday than he did in Indy despite the fact he had to gain some weight. Said 238 was the lightest he can ever remember. Boren said he was clocked around 4.8 on pro day.
* John Simon, Etienne Sabino, Johnathan Hankins and Reid Fragel chose not to run the 40 on Friday.
On John Simon…
* Simon will hold his own workout for pro scouts on Monday March 25 at 9am. He's still recovering from a shoulder injury.
* Simon said he will do defensive line and linebacker drills at his pro day.
* Simon said he feels comfortable playing LB if that's where a team wants him. Said he played enough drop end at OSU.
On Zach Boren…
* Boren was working out exclusively as an offensive player on pro day, although he also did some long-snapping.
* Boren said he wanted to do LB drills, but his coaches convinced him to just focus on fullback.
* Boren said he was overjoyed to playing linebacker last year, regardless of what impact it might have on his NFL stock.
On Jake Stoneburner…
* Stoneburner said he doesn't worry about how position change might have hurt NFL stock. Said he wouldn't trade 12-0 season for anything.
* Stoneburner is hearing good things from the NFL, just wants to be drafted. "It's always been my dream to hear my name called."
* Troy Smith said there aren't many 6-5 guys who can run the way Stoneburner does. "What's the difference between you and Tony Gonzalez?"
* Stoneburner was a huge Ohio State fan growing up in Dublin. Said it was like a dream to work with Troy Smith this offseason.
On Reid Fragel…
* Fragel said he learned a lot working with LeCharles Bentley out in Arizona to get ready for pro day.
* Fragel said he worked out with Alex Boone and Michael Brewster. Heavy emphasis on pass protection drills.
* Fragel couldn't have imagined his move to offensive tackle going any better than it has. Wishes he had one more year to hone his craft.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.