Two-Minute Drill: Matta, Players Talk MSU, Iowa
By Brandon Castel
COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio State head coach Thad Matta met with the media on Monday to talk more about his team’s hard-fought loss at Michigan State over the weekend.
He did a little looking ahead to the game Tuesday night against Iowa (6:30 p.m. ET, Big Ten Network), but most of the talk was about Shannon Scott’s last shot and what the Buckeyes have to do to get back on the right track.
Last Shot Blues
* Matta said they didn't have the ball where they wanted it on the last shot and spacing wasn't right. "They had locked on Deshaun."
* Matta reiterating that the last play is not what lost them the game "in any shape or form." Needed to make plays earlier.
* Matta said they told Shannon Scott to play forward and move on from that last play. "We're back at it tomorrow night."
* Matta said Scott has responded well after a tough moment Saturday. Looked good at practice Sunday night.
* Aaron Craft on Scott: "He's a fighter, he's a competitor. He's not going to be defined by that moment."
OSU Player Notes
* Matta said LaQuinton Ross is "doing what he needs to do." He's playing with more fire and intensity. Better demeanor in practice.
* Deshaun Thomas said he talked to Ross a few weeks ago because he could tell his teammate was down. Told him to keep his head up and sky is the limit.
* Craft on tying OSU steals record: "I can't even imagine what the number would have been if Mike (Conley) had stayed."
* Thomas didn't know he was in striking distance of OSU's all-time scoring record if he came back next year. "That was one of my goals."
Matta’s New Contract
* New revisions won’t add any additional years to Matta’s contract, which ends in 2019, but it bumps his pay from $2.9M to $3.2M.
* Matta has stricter compliance responsibilities in new contract. "All the things in there are things I live by anyway."
* Matta: "One of the things I'm most proud of is what we've built here since we started. We were at ground zero nine years ago."
* Matta: "I feel as blessed as I can be to be at Ohio State. I love this University and feel extremely grateful."
* Craft on Matta: "He's the definition of a player's coach. He gives us a lot of freedom a lot of other guys don't have."
* Thomas said Matta taught him right from wrong and told him to be patient when he first got to OSU.
Donate by Check :
1380 King Avenue
Columbus, Ohio 43212
Help us bring you more Buckeye coverage. Donate to the-Ozone.
Click here to email this the-Ozone feature to a friend...or even a foe.
(c) 2010 The O-Zone, O-Zone Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, rebroadcast,rewritten, or redistributed.